Contributory Parent 143 Visa Support group

Elna57

@Marchhawker and @DGT.

I have read on other forums that some people who applied in Dec 2015 have been requested to go for medicals etc. So I assume the queue is moving but hasn't been updated as well. Lets hope that is the case.

41 minutes ago, Elna57 said:

@Marchhawker and @DGT.

I have read on other forums that some people who applied in Dec 2015 have been requested to go for medicals etc. So I assume the queue is moving but hasn't been updated as well. Lets hope that is the case.

Elna57 do you mean Dec 2014?

• Confused 1

@DGT.

Oops!! Yes sorry. Dec 2014.  

For those keeping a notepad for what to do and what to expect when finally arriving in Aus, just a few notes to keep you busy.

Remember these observations/procedures are relevant for QLD and might not be exactly the same for the other territories. 

First get a SIM card with a local cellphone number from a cellphone provider, because everywhere they ask for your contact number.

The main suppliers are Telstra, Optus, Vodaphone and Virgin. You can get a sim with unlimited calls and SMS's and 2Gig data for $30 that let 28 days. There are cheaper options if you search the Net but they take normally longer to activate. So we just got the Prepaid $30 to start with.

We activated our bank accounts by popping into the closest branch with our Passports, SA credit cards and SA drivers licences.

Fortunately I had a statement with my name at a local address, which verified my address. Otherwise you should take with you a letter from your child to say that you stay with them and a recent utility bill to verify the address. 

The bank will then post you your banking card to your address in about 7 days. In the mean time you can download the banking app and even draw cash from an ATM with your cellphone and the app (without a bank card).

Interest rates are very low in Aus compared to SA, so also open a savers account linked to your cheque account. The main banks give you more than average interest on these savings pockets (about 2.55% for the first few months) otherwise you get zero interest on your cheque account. Main banks are Commonwealth Bank, Westpac and NAB. 

So after we activated our bank accounts, which we already opened on the internet from SA, we next went to get our drivers licences swopped for QLD drivers licences at the nearest Dept of Transport and Main Roads. Just Google drivers licences. There they needed a Passport, two credit cards each (for verification), SA drivers licence, contact cell number and proof of address. You could get along with some other ID's, but not the SA drivers licence for an ID. And you need two extra ID verifications apart from your passport.

They gave us temporary drivers licenses on paper and you need to pay the licence fee there and then. The QLD drivers license fee is $170.75 for 5 years. You can get it for shorter and pay less at that stage, but the 5 years is the best value one. They will also post the drivers licence to your address in about two weeks.

Then we went to the Centrelink branch that did Medicare and got some forms to fill in. Only one person has to fill it in and include your spouse on the form as a 2nd dependant. She just has to sign the form as well. At Medicare they needed our Passports as well as our Immigration Grant Letter which I fortunately had on my iPhone. They gave us a paper printout of our Medicare cards which were then valid from that moment on. They will post us our Medicare cards.

All the above personal were extremely helpful and friendly. Such a pleasure dealing with nice people!

Driving around is not bad. Just be open minded and keep track of what's going on around you. Especially when approaching roundabouts - check the arrows on the ground which lane goes where. And use your indicator properly also when approaching roundabouts. People rely on you indicating your intentions when driving.And stick to the speed, especially near schools when the speed is reduced to 40kph during certain times when schools start and finish (7-9am and 2-4pm).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Dirkz.

Hi there! Thank you so much for your post. So nice to hear from you.

Kindly clarify some questions re : " two credit cards each (for verification), SA drivers licence, contact cell number and proof of address. You could get along with some other ID's, but not the SA drivers licence for an ID. And you need two extra ID verifications apart from your passport."

The two credit cards........... two for each person? I intended to close my SA credit card when we go and I only have one? Should I keep it open rather then? And where would I get a second credit card?

Two extra ID verifications apart from passport.......... I have my SA ID card, what other ID verification can one use?

Sorry if I sound really Dowwe Dolla here.

Regards to your wife and enjoy every minute. Can't wait to join you in Queensland.  

I don't know whether you are aware, when driving in Queensland and ANY construction is taking place , the speed limit is automatically also lower regardless of whether any speed reduction signs have been erected, 

@Marchhawker. I have compiled a list of people in the queue from various forums and sites. Of course there are some people who applied but are not on the list. but I used everything I could find. According to that list there are 4 people who applied after me and before you whom we KNOW of. Sounds good hey?

@DGT. 7 including Marchhawker in your case. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 11:54 PM, Elna57 said:

Hi Guys and Gals.

I am trying to establish a new thread just for us Roomies to communicate and share our experiences without flooding Orphan's thread "NEW THREAD - 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa - Tips and Other information".

I have no idea whether I am doing this right but I guess we will soon find out. :unsure:

As soon as I have a couple of replies, I will post our updated waiting list and we can keep up to date right here.

Hope to hear from some roomies soon.

Regards

Elna

• Like 1

Hi Elna

We are in the process of gathering our documents to apply for the contributory parent visa 143. I see that it takes about 3 years. There is also a temporary contributory parent visa available. Has anyone applied for both and how did it work out? Also is is best to work with a South African based migration company or rather with an Australian based company? We are going to live in Sydney. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

@Elna57

Sorry for the unclear explanation at the traffic dept about verifying your ID, my last sentence shouldn't have started with "and".

One needs two other verifications of ID apart from your passport. So I gave them 2 credit cards of which one has also been cancelled, but still had my name and valid expire date on it. I suppose one could show them your SA ID and a credit card, which will suffice. 

As far as speed and construction works are concerned, there are more than ample warnings everywhere they work - one can't miss it!

My brother says apparently the law has changed a bit insofar one has to indicate when leaving a roundabout. Previously one would just put your indicator on before one enters the roundabout (left for first exit, nothing for second exit (straight) and right for third exit).

But now if you're in the inside lane of the roundabout and want to leave it at the second exit, you need to cross the outside lane by indicating left and exit. Anyway one quickly gets used to that.

• Like 1

@Dirkz. Thank you for the explanation. Hope you are having a ball over there! 

@Carole

Hi Carole, welcome. 

The new temporary visa........ I have been reading up a lot on that but still don't know whether one can apply for both. There are a couple of forums on facebook that you can join and ask questions directly to the immigration agents. Here, in this particular thread, we are a bunch of folks who have applied and are waiting for our 143 Contributory parent visas to be processed.

Perhaps @Mara has some answers for you or could point you in the right direction.

Good luck with your journey. It is a long, hard  process but so worth the wait.

Roomies, no updates yet? 

Hi Dirkz

Thank you for all the information posted - will always come in handy - much appreciated. Hope you settling in well and weather similar to PE or better.

Take care and best wishes to you and your family - now you can sit back , relax and enjoy life.

Hi Carole

Welcome. We used a local immigration consultant - there are pros and cons on this. However it is the call of the applicant. We were told to go the direct route for the 143 visa back in 2014 as the 173 ( temporary visa ) takes about the same and then one has to still apply for the 143 visa. The only advantage was that your payment is split but does cost more eventually. I suggest that you do some checking / reading on the above two visas and then go see an immigration consultant ( first consultation free ) and then decide which route you should take.  I also think that it will now take much more than 3 years to get the visa . Hope all goes well.

Hi Elna

We got fingers crossed for you - keep a close watch for any emails from DIBP. Remember they said that you must also check your Spam box carefully before deleting, so be alert. Best of luck.   

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Carole said:

Hi Elna

We are in the process of gathering our documents to apply for the contributory parent visa 143. I see that it takes about 3 years. There is also a temporary contributory parent visa available. Has anyone applied for both and how did it work out? Also is is best to work with a South African based migration company or rather with an Australian based company? We are going to live in Sydney. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Carole.

Based on my own personal circumstances i.e

1)Our Children are in Perth and Sydney.

2)We visit them (actually the grand children !) twice a year.

3)When they emigrated they used a "large" Immigration agency in Queensland and obviously recommended them to us. Queensland is far from where they live.

If I had to do it with an Immigration agency again, I would look for one in the same Town that my children live. At least I could walk into their offices and just chat about the various uncertainties ,updates, new legislation, forms that fellow roomies hear about (eg Form 80 ) etc.

Email correspondence is not sufficient "comfort" for us older folks. We need to discuss across a table. This is a long process. The 30 Months that you read about is the time that the Current Approvals have taken. They even tell you what percentages that were approved over say 30 months and over say, 35 months.

DO NOT be impressed by a large Agency. Believe me they are not always up to date with the Parent Visa.

First just ask a potential agency a few simple questions.

I actually walked into a small agency in a small village, South of Perth, last week.(got back yesterday) and just chatted to the gentleman, who happened to be the owner.

During the short Chat I made sure I covered questions that would indicate whether he had ACTUAL and  up to date, experience with the PARENT Visas.

Have they done and completed  a 143.

How long did their last few applications take?   

Did they do Form 80?.Was it required in those days.  (FYI it was not required, but most agents suggested they do it)

Can they make the Payments to PAC on their clients  behalf.(It is possible, but not a deal breaker)

He knew exactly what I was talking about.

and

He simply looked up his clients on his computer and could discuss actual data in seconds. What a pleasure.!

If I could find a SA Agent that is close to where I live, and I could deduce that they had ACTUAL experience with Parent Visas, I probably would be happy do that as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much! This was very helpful to me. It's great to have firsthand experience and feedback! Your reply was very informative and I appreciate the help xxx

• Like 1

Good morning roomies :)

Response from PVC this morning  indicates their processing  remains stuck on 25 November 2014.   :(

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Onthemove said:

Good morning roomies :)

Response from PVC this morning  indicates their processing  remains stuck on 25 November 2014.   :(

Did you receive the response from case officer or it was auto response to a test email? I notice that there was an applicant lodged on 18/12/2014 and received a request to provide further documents in another forum.

• Like 1

Hi Elena

Please let me know if you use an agent when applying for the Subclass 600 Tourist Visa when you visit family in OZ or do you do it online. Any other information that you have will also help. We are going to visit family in November and need to apply for this visa.

Many thanks  

• Like 1

@KevinLee   it was an auto response to a test mail.   I still have a loong way to go until my visa lodgement date is reached - 7 months to be precise.  As at today, I've been in the waiting room for 810 days :wacko:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Onthemove said:

@KevinLee   it was an auto response to a test mail.   I still have a loong way to go until my visa lodgement date is reached - 7 months to be precise.  As at today, I've been in the waiting room for 810 days :wacko:

My way is even longer than you do, I've lodged the PVC on September 2015 :)

• Like 1

Hi @JTN.

Re visitor visa.

You have to give yourself ample time to apply. Yes one does the whole process online now. I found it so much more convenient. 

You will probably be asked to go for biometrics which basically is photos, fingerprints and some voice recording if I understand correctly. 

When we applied in June, we did not have to go for biometrics so I can only tell you what I have read.

A friend recently applied for a visitor visa and had to wait quite a while. You will receive a request to go for biometrics and be informed where to go.

Be sure to apply early so your visas will be ready when you need them.

I will post some links for you.

Regards

Elna

@JTN. You will be applying for the subclass 600 visa which doesnt involve a bond. Dont forget your letter of invitation from your family member.

Have a great day.

@JTN. You will also have to create an Immi account ... all explained on Border website. It is very quick and easy.

Good luck.

@KevinLee. 

Welcome. May I add your name to our progress sheet?

Hope you will enjoy your time in our room.

Regards

Elna

Hi Elna,

Please go ahead and add my name in the progress sheet, I've lodged my PVC application on 24/09/2015 .

Kevin

• Thanks 1

On ‎2017‎/‎09‎/‎13 at 8:10 AM, Elna57 said:

@JTN. You will also have to create an Immi account ... all explained on Border website. It is very quick and easy.

Good luck.

Hi Elna

Thank you very much - appreciated. We leave mid November so ample time if we apply now. 

• Like 1

• Mara pinned this topic